The only way to avoid a pounding head and queasiness the morning after, is to drink in moderation, or to stay away from alcohol entirely. But after Fat Tuesday, that’s easier said than done!
If you still wind up with a celebratory hangover, you may be tempted to try the hair of the dog that bit you. But you’ll be better off feeding your way back to happiness with these foods that give your body what it desperately needs.
- Asparagus eaten just before you drink or with your meal may prevent a hangover. It’s enzymes help to break down alcohol.
- Honey has antioxidants and concentrated fructose that flush out alcohol.
- Salty soup will help replace salt stores lost in the frequent urination that comes with drinking too much.
- A banana can improve potassium levels caused by excessive drinking.
- Eggs are my secret hangover cure. They provide energy and contain cysteine—the substance that breaks down a hangover-causing toxin, acetaldehyde, into the liver’s depleted glutathione.
- Quinoa has amino acids that are depleted through alcohol.
- Water. Your body needs to replenish and rehydrate.
Get your copy of Carol Cottrill’s The French Twist on Amazon.com.